Intelligent User Interfaces Governance
The 2013 governance changes to the ACM conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI) are chronicled below, with the most recent events listed first.
December 9, 2013 - Election results
The elections for the IUI Steering Committee have been finished in good order, and the elected officers will be:
- Michelle Zhou, Chair;
- Antonio Krüger, Chair-Elect.
The results of this election mark the end of the transition process towards a new IUI governance structure.
As stated in the IUI governance document at http://bit.ly/iuigov the new officers will invite the members of the previous IUI Steering Committee to join the new SC as non-voting members.
We congratulate Michelle and Antonio, and wish the IUI community good luck with the continuation of the successful Conference series and other activities to serve this interdisciplinary Research Community.
Yolanda Gill - Chair, ACM SIGART
Gerrit van der Veer - President, ACM SIGCHI
Below is a statement by the two new Officers:
We would like to thank you all, the members of our IUI community, for your support and trust! We are looking forward to working with every one of you to fulfill our new roles. In this context, we will start with the implementation of the ideas and goals described in the IUI governance document that has been the result of a large community discussion during the last 12 months. Immediately, we will work with the community to:
(1) Form the new IUI Steering Committee (SC) including determining the voting members of the steering committee from the previous conferences (2012, 2013) and inviting the members of the current IUI SC to join the new SC as non-voting members;
(2) Agree on the bid for the 2015 conference to be announced at IUI 2014 in Haifa;
(3) Start drafting the "conference handbook" that documents the processes and procedures to be used in carrying out future IUI conferences.
During this process, we will also work with the current steering committee to ensure a smooth transition and plan our first town hall meeting at IUI 2014. We will continue using the online IUI community forum to engage with you to ensure a broad participation and operational transparency. Moreover, we welcome your constructive suggestions and comments so we can work together to make IUI a greater and bigger community!
Michelle Zhou, Antonio Krüger
November 13, 2013 - Voting opens
Elections are open until November 27, 2013. Voting is through the SIGCHI community for IUI, but you do not need to be a member of SIGCHI to vote or participate fully in the community. Membership in either SIGCHI or SIGART is sufficient. Log in with your ACM Web account and join the community as a full member to get started.
September 23, 2013 - Revised dates
The voting period for the IUI elected steering committee positions has changed slightly due to some issues in the underlying technology. The new plan is:
- Now-Oct 18: Announce the formation of the community as widely as possible and recruit as many members as possible. Please help us by spreading the news!
- Oct 19-Nov 17: Collect nominations for the two elected steering committee positions that will be available in this round (Chair and Chair-Elect). See the governance proposal above for details on the positions and model. Nominations will be accepted here on the IUI Community web page.
- Nov 18-Dec 1: 2 week voting period, culminating in an announcement of the winners on Dec 16.
We do not expect this to change.
To read the accepted IUI Governance proposal, please visit this page.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
PLEASE ALSO, help us recruit more people into the community!
Jeffrey Nichols & Jihie Kim
September 17, 2013 - Governance proposal accepted
As of September 17, 2013, the chairs of SIGART and SIGCHI have accepted a proposal for the future governance of IUI (conference on Intelligent User Interfaces). This accepted proposal is the continuation of a process that began with the formation of an Oversight Committee, announced in June 2012, to make recommendations concerning IUI governance. The Oversight Committee was formed based on feedback from the IUI community. In March 2013, a request for proposals was sent to SIGART and SIGCHI members, soliciting ideas on IUI community structure. The September 2013 accepted proposal is the result of this process, incorporating extensive community feedback.
The accepted proposal includes a general timeline for a transition to the new governance structure, and we anticipate numerous opportunities for community involvement in the coming months. The first step under the accepted proposal is steering committee elections, for which we anticipate the following timeline:
- Sep 17-Oct 13: Announce the formation of the community as widely as possible and recruit as many members as possible. Please help us by spreading the news!
- Oct 14-Nov 11: Collect nominations for the two elected steering committee positions that will be available in this round (Chair and Chair-Elect). See the governance proposal above for details on the positions and model.
- Nov 12-Nov 26: 2 week voting period, culminating in an announcement of the winners on Nov 27.
Please feel free to contact the SIGART officers with any questions or concerns. If you are interested in getting involved, please see the call for participation below.
September 17, 2013 - Call for participation
Subject: Call for Participation: Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI) Conference Governance
To all participants in previous IUI conferences and those interested in IUI research-
As you may be aware, the governance for the Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI) conference has recently undergone some changes at the request of the chairs of ACM SIGCHI and SIGART. The organization of the conference will now be managed through a SIGCHI/SIGART community and we will soon hold elections for steering committee positions.
*** If you would like to keep up with the conference or participate in the future governance of the conference, PLEASE JOIN THE IUI COMMUNITY at http://www.sigchi.org/communities/iui
Members of the community will receive updates on future conferences and can engage in discussions related to the conference through the community message board. Also, *only* members of the community will be able to participate in elections for steering committee members. Additional details about the new governance model for IUI can be found here.
You must be a member of ACM and either SIGCHI or SIGART to join the community. To become a member of ACM, please visit http://acm.org/. If you are a member of ACM, but not of SIGCHI or SIGART, please visit http://myacm.acm.org/, login using your ACM web account, click "My Services" in the left sidebar and click "Join SIGs" near the bottom of the page.
If you have any questions, please contact Jeffrey Nichols, IUI Community Acting Chair, at .
Jihie Kim & Jeffrey Nichols
IUI 2013 Chairs